In celebration of National Ice Cream Day, we’re sharing Bea Tollman’s recipe for honeycomb ice cream.
Featured in Bea’s ‘A Life in Food’, the recipe is a firm favourite across our hotels and is perfect to enjoy on its own or accompanied by your favourite cake or pastry.
If you enjoyed making this recipe, please share your photos with us on Instagram, tagging @RedCarnationHotels.
To serve 8 people.
- 250ml corn/glucose syrup
- 250g granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, sieved
- 1 litre vanilla ice cream
- Dissolve the syrup, sugar and vinegar over a medium heat. Turn the heat up high and boil until the syrup turns to a light caramel colour.
- Take the pan off the heat and quickly stir in the baking soda
- Pour the mix into a high-sided baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and greased with butter. Leave to cool and harden but do not refrigerate! Once hardened, this brittle, crunchy slab becomes your honeycomb base.
- Slightly soften the vanilla ice cream in a chilled ceramic bowl.
- Carefully break the honeycomb slab into various sizes, none more than 2cm square, and quickly fold half into the ice cream.
- Pour the ice cream into a desired ice cream mould or back into the original ice cream container and freeze again.
- Keep the remaining honeycomb in an airtight container for topping when serving.
For more recipe ideas, check out our at home blogs for inspiration.