Valid throughout the year
The quaint village of Evershot, surrounded by rolling Dorset hills, is steep in Thomas Hardy history. As many would know, Hardy was a famous English writer and poet born in the 1800's. But did you realise he was an architect before he was successful enough to pursue his literary career? In fact, the drawing room wing at our sister property Summer Lodge Country House Hotel, Restaurant and Spa was designed by Hardy himself. Fans of his works simply must take a visit to this village, which he referred to as Evershed in his novels.
The Acorn Inn, referred to as 'The Sow and Acorn' in 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles', is your perfect resting place for your Thomas Hardy experience. This 16th Century quintessential English inn has ten bedrooms, each individually designed and named after Hardy characters and places. Sit by a roaring fire in winter and enjoy a pint of real ale in the beer garden during the warmer months. Take a stroll around the village past Tess cottage where she breakfasted on her way to visit Angel Claire’s parents. And for the more energetic, there is a beautiful four mile circular walk around Melbury Deer Park. At the end of your day, return to our bar and perhaps relax in the inglenook in which Tupcombe sat waiting for news of Betty in ‘The First Countess of Wessex’.
Our Thomas Hardy Experience includes:
- Accommodation in a four poster bedroom
- Full English breakfast
- Dorset Cream Tea in the Drawing Room at Summer Lodge (designed by Thomas Hardy in his capacity as an architect)
- Choice of a pint of real ale or a glass of Pimm's
- Three course dinner in our award-winning restaurant
- Entry to Max Gate and to Thomas Hardy's birthplace
Terms and Conditions
- Prices from £275.00 per room per night inclusive of VAT and based on double occupancy
- A deposit of £99.00 per room is required to secure each reservation which is fully refundable with seven days or more notice of cancellation
- Entry to Max Gate & Thomas Hardy Birthplace is subject to National Trust opening times
- We are unable to provide transport to Dorchester but would be delighted to arrange a taxi for you
- This offer is subject to availability and general terms and conditions